On our recent trip to the Sacramento area I thought it would be fun to take Scott and Geddy to the California State Railroad Museum. I remember going there with my family when I was younger. Geddy, being a typical little boy, enjoys seeing trains and making train noises. To begin our day we took the advice of my sister Beth and her husband Brian, and rode the Amtrak train from Davis into Sacramento.
Geddy was excited from the moment he first heard the whistle of the incoming train. Once we were on the train it wasn't that exciting, because he couldn't see the train anymore.
After the train arrive it was just a short walk to Old Sacramento where we toured the museum. Geddy was thrilled by everything. He would see the big wheels of the trains that were taller than Daddy and he would just say "WOW!" 

Pretending to work the controls of one engine was an exciting thing! Nothing really happened, but that didn't bother Geddy. As long as there are buttons to push, levers to pull or anything else that moves that is all he needs!
We all found the interior of the sleeper cars fascinating. Scott observed that people must have been a lot shorter back in the 1800's as there's no way we would be able to sleep on those beds. Also as Geddy is showing here, the aisles were extremely narrow and confining.
I don't think I would've enjoyed a long trip on one of these, talk about claustrophobia. Then there was the kitchen!
Amazing that the cooks could make so much food for so many people in such a small area. It had to have been hot, and a little dangerous when they went around curves and such!
We all found the interior of the sleeper cars fascinating. Scott observed that people must have been a lot shorter back in the 1800's as there's no way we would be able to sleep on those beds. Also as Geddy is showing here, the aisles were extremely narrow and confining.
I don't think I would've enjoyed a long trip on one of these, talk about claustrophobia. Then there was the kitchen!
Amazing that the cooks could make so much food for so many people in such a small area. It had to have been hot, and a little dangerous when they went around curves and such!
The day would have been more enjoyable had there not been so many school groups running around. We were almost knocked down several times by rambunctious elementary school kids. Luckily they weren't allowed to play in the Thomas the Tank Engine area, so Geddy had a little peace and quiet there. 

A rare picture of me and Geddy. Not the greatest, but I didn't exactly pick a great place to sit so the lighting was off. Geddy was tired and didn't want to look at Scott no matter what silly faces or sounds he made trying to get his attention.
1 comment:
What a great post! Looks like it was lots of fun and very interesting. I do like that picture of you and Geddy, even if he is looking down!
( :
Post a Comment