Thursday, January 29, 2009

Top 25 Children's Novels I Read in 2008

Okay, here is another list of books I liked that I read last year. These are all children's novels (appropriate for kids 9-12). These are my top 25, I didn't know which five to cut to make it 20 so you get all 25. Again, they are in no particular order. If there are any listed as sequels, I do recommend reading them in order.

Children’s Novels
1. Savvy – Ingrid Law
2. The Diamond of Drury Lane & Cat Among the Pigeons – Julia Golding (first two of series)
3. The Girl Who Could Fly – Victoria Forester
4. The Resistance – Gemma Malley * (sequel to The Declaration)
5. The Ever-After Bird – Ann Rinaldi
6. Elissa’s Odyssey – Erica Verrillo * (sequel to Elissa’s Quest)
7. The Shadow Speaker – Nnedi Okorafur-Mbachu
8. Archie’s War – Marcia Williams
9. Shooting the Moon – Frances O’Roark Dowell
10. The Invisible Rules of the Zoe Lama – Tish Cohen
11. Spacer and Rat – Margaret Bechard
12. The Princess and the Peabodys – Betty G. Birney
13. Out of the Shadows – Sarah Singleton
14. Northlander – Meg Burden
15. A Crooked Kind of Perfect – Linda Urban
16. Found – Margaret Peterson Haddix
17. Steel Trapp: The Challenge – Ridley Pearson
18. Puddlejumpers – Mark Jean
19. The Postcard – Tony Abbott
20. Saga – Conor Kostick * (sequel to Epic)
21. I.Q. Independence Hall – Roland Smith
22. The Sky Village – Monk & Nigel Ashland
23. Ellie McDoodle New Kid in School – Ruth McNally Barshaw (sequel to Ellie McDoodle Have Pen Will Travel)
24. The Maze of Bones – Rick Riordan (39 Clues)
25. The Mystery of the Martello Tower – Jennifer Lanthier

3 comments:

Raspberry said...

I know it's so...mediaized and seeming cliche, but the 39 Clues was actually a lot of fun and we already have checked out the next...
I didn't like the Girl who could Fly. I got bored, but maybe I was just tired.
A lot of these I haven't read either, but I have a lot waiting to be read, does that count? :)

Hirsche Family said...

I don't usually do the really publicized things, but I have enjoyed the first two 39 clues books and I am already on hold for the third. I am not collecting the cards or anything, though I have visited the website and seen which family I belong to (though I can't remember it now).

Marisa said...

Carol - thanks so much for the list - I also love children's literature and am currently reading the 1st in the 39 Clues series -- have your read any of Riordan's Percy Jackson books? And what do you think of Sharon Creech -- I LOVE her books! I have a fav book list to and if you are interested, I will email it to you.

Marisa (Lon's wife)