Saturday, January 24, 2009

Favorite Books I Read in 2008 - part 1

Warning: This is not a Geddy related entry. As most of you reading this know, I am a children's librarian. I read lots and lots and lots of books. I have been wanting to start a second blog for my book reviews but I have been too busy (lazy) to do so. Maybe I will get around to it sometime this year. In the meantime I would like to share some of my favorites that I read during 2008. I intended to list my top 5 in several different categories. However, I couldn't narrow any down to just 5. So here, for part one, are my 20 favorite Young Adult/Teen novels that I read last year. They are not really in a specific order, just know that the first three are my very favorite. If you are reading this and could care less about Teen literature, then I apologize and will get more Geddy stuff on here soon.

1. Unwind – Neil Shusterman
2. The Hunger Games – Suzanne Collins
3. Graceling – Kristin Cashore
4. Hush – Donna Jo Napoli
5. Sight – Adrienne Maria Vrettos
6. How the Hangman Lost his Heart – K. M. Grant
7. Jumper: Griffin’s Story – Steven Gould
8. Rhiannon – Vicki Grove
9. Wicked Lovely – Melissa Marr
10. The Red Necklace – Sally Gardner
11. The Melting of Maggie Bean – Tricia Rayburn
12. The Last of the High Kings – Kate Thompson *
13. The Dead and the Gone – Susan Beth Pfeffer *
14. The Juliet Club – Suzanne Harper
15. Ivy – Julie Hearn
16. Stolen – Vivian Vande Velde
17. The Summoning – Kelley Armstrong
18. The Adoration of Jenna Fox – Mary E. Pearson
19. Gone – Michael Grant
20. The Sky Inside – Clare B. Dunkle

* Not the first in a series, I do recommend you start at the beginning.

3 comments:

Raspberry said...

I always love your recommendations and look forward to reading the ones I haven't already read.

Raspberry said...

Ok, I must confess to not having read even half of those you have (but I have read others, I swear). The Hunger Games REALLY bothered me. It was ok as far as plot, but the violence - I mean, who makes a plot where teenagers are running around deliberately killing each other?
Graceling was ok, I can't remember what bothered me but I just remember thinking 'ok'. And Napoli. I must confess I've never liked anything she's written, although Hush was a surprise.

Raspberry said...

Ok - and I really enjoyed the Red Necklace, and the Juliet Club was surprisingly a good read as well. I am taking your list with me to the library to check out the others. Many thanks!
:)