About a week ago we decided to start trying Geddy in a big bed. He is just getting to long for his crib. Then you add his three blankets and five stuffed animals and there isn't much room for a comfortable sleep. Instead of going out and buying a big bed right away we just opened up the futon that he has been using as a couch in his room. He slept on it part of the first night but hasn't shown much interest in sleeping there since. He does love to play on it and especially to prop himself up on pillows and read his "I Spy" books.
We aren't pushing it just letting him get used to it and we figured he would let us know when he was ready to make the switch. Apparently last night was it! Of course, I was at work so I missed it. Scott went to put him to bed like normal and Geddy insisted he didn't want in his crib. He told his dad he wanted the big bed. So Scott got all of his stuff out of the crib, cleaned the books off the futon and settled Geddy down for the night. A few minutes later Geddy came marching out to the living room. Scott settled him in again and the same thing happened.
After being put back in bed Geddy got up one more time and just opened and closed his door a few times. Knowing he was just testing his new freedom, Scott put him back in bed a third time but told him if he didn't stay in bed and fall asleep then he would have to be put in his crib because it was sleepy time. That did it because we didn't hear a peep out of him until 7am this morning. 
We aren't pushing it just letting him get used to it and we figured he would let us know when he was ready to make the switch. Apparently last night was it! Of course, I was at work so I missed it. Scott went to put him to bed like normal and Geddy insisted he didn't want in his crib. He told his dad he wanted the big bed. So Scott got all of his stuff out of the crib, cleaned the books off the futon and settled Geddy down for the night. A few minutes later Geddy came marching out to the living room. Scott settled him in again and the same thing happened.
After being put back in bed Geddy got up one more time and just opened and closed his door a few times. Knowing he was just testing his new freedom, Scott put him back in bed a third time but told him if he didn't stay in bed and fall asleep then he would have to be put in his crib because it was sleepy time. That did it because we didn't hear a peep out of him until 7am this morning. 
He is showing me how he slept.
That equalled about ten hours of sleep. I wasn't sure what he was going to want for his nap though. Toys and such are much more tempting when it is light outside. But nap time rolled around and Geddy gathered his Nama blankie (yellow one his Grandma Lorrayne made him) and a book and got up on his big bed. I gave him a kiss and shut the door. I heard him rustling around for about five minutes, but he never got off the bed. I gave him about half an hour to fall deep asleep before sneaking in to take this picture. 

He is really asleep in this one.
It's not very clear because I didn't want to use a flash and risk waking him up. That was about an hour and a half ago and he is still sleeping. I am not expecting this to make him a perfect sleeper, or even to be full time in the big bed now. But it is definitely a big step in the right direction.

2 comments:
Yay Geddy!!!!
Way to go! That's great. I love the pictures!
Post a Comment